As of Nov. 24 – ALL IN-STUDIO CLASSES ARE SUSPENDED per the new BC Government health orders, see the details here.
Please use the Zoom log-in information to join your class online.
Please familiarize yourself and your dancer with the following details.
As we continue to follow the Covid-19 guidelines given by the BC Health Authorities pertaining to dance studios. The health and safety of our dancers and teachers is our first priority. We ask for your patience and flexibility as we navigate through these strange times.
Please read through the updates to our health & safety protocols:
- COVID-19 protocol acknowledgement form: Fill out and return your form, either with your dancer, or via email.
- Masks: Masks are mandatory for all students and staff while inside Mi-Cher Dance Academy.
- Dancers only: At this time, only dancers will enter the building; a sign in/sign out station will be in effect for the younger students, and a door monitor will be present. Please wait outside to be invited in by our door monitor.
- Studio entrance: Upon arrival to the studio, the students will be asked to enter and to go immediately to their designated spot. These spots will be clearly marked and spaced 2 metres apart in all directions.
- Studio Sanitization: We will be sanitizing all high touch surfaces between each and every class. Classes will be shortened by 5-10 minutes to allow for this.
- Hand Sanitization: Hand sanitizing stations will be set up, and all must sanitize upon entering and exiting the studio.
- Bathroom visits: Dancers may be asked to restrict bathroom usage to emergency only situations, if at all possible, please use the bathroom at home before arriving.
- Be ready for class: All dancers should arrive dressed for class.
- Props: Props for the younger children will be in personalized bags, which will be distributed at the beginning of the dance year. These will be given out at no cost, however if they are lost and your child needs a replacement, there will be a fee of $5.
- Water Bottles: Dancers must bring their own water bottles to class.
- Feeling ill? Dancers will not be allowed to attend classes if they feel unwell, please use the BC CDC’s self-assessment tool if you are unsure.
- Online classes: We will only move to online if absolutely necessary. Should this happen, we will maintain the same schedule as if the students were in the studio.
- COVID Risks: Despite our best efforts we cannot guarantee that returning to in person classes will be 100% risk free. Should you or your family members be in the high risk category for COVID-19, you may consider taking a leave of absence from in-person dance classes this season. We understand that this is a personal choice and fully respect and support your decisions.
- Signage: Please follow all posted signs in the studio.
If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact us at the studio.
FULL COVID Safety Plan Protocol – updated November 20, 2020
Mi-Cher Dance Academy
214-15272 Croydon Dr
CONTACT: Cheryl Geddert, owner
PH/TEXT: 604-536-1262 or 604-312-3641
2020-2021 Covid Safety Plan Protocols
Updated November 20, 2020
These protocols are effective immediately and will be updated on an ongoing basis, based on the most current BC Government/BCCDC guidelines.
All updates or changes to safety protocols will be emailed directly to all students and staff and will be posted at the studio entrance.
Mi-Cher Dance Academy is a ballet and modern dance studio, located in Surrey, BC. The students of the studio are children and teens. The studio is currently operating at less than 75% capacity and will continue to do so until advised by BC Public Health officials that the risk of COVID-19 virus transmission is sufficiently low.
The primary focus of instruction at Mi-Cher Dance Academy is ballet and modern dance education, rhythm, and musicality (NOT fitness). While physical movement is a secondary benefit of ballet and modern dancing, the level of intensity of exercise during a typical class would be considered low to moderate. To equate it to a relatable activity–the majority of the class would be conducted at the level of intensity of a slow to moderate paced walk on a flat surface. While there are some steps and choreography that can be performed with an effort to maximize cardiopulmonary activity, Mi-Cher Dance Academy teachers have been informed of the risk of COVID-19 transmission with higher levels of physical activity and will refrain from this type of activity until advised by BC Public Health officials that the risk of COVID-19 virus transmission is sufficiently low to resume normal activity.
Due to the unique nature of ballet and modern dancing we have implemented additional safety measures that do not fall under the guidance categories listed.
1) Teachers will keep the music volume low to facilitate instruction at a normal speaking voice level.
2) There will be no yelling, shouting, or singing permitted by students or teachers.
3) When instructing and demonstrating, the teacher will face away from the students as much as possible, which is in keeping with typical practice.
4) Students are to raise their hands to ask questions (rather than calling out).
This COVID-19 Safety Plan Protocol is based on the guidance put forth by BCCDC, Fraser Health, and WorkSafeBC for Gyms/Fitness Centres and Recreation/Athletic Facilities.
Employee and Student Illness
1) All students and staff are required to complete a COVID-19 agreement. By signing this agreement all students and staff are acknowledging that they understand, agree, and will adhere to all of the studio COVID-19 safety protocols. If there are significant changes made to the COVID-19 safety protocols, all students and staff will be required to complete a new agreement form.
2) All updates to the Mi-Cher Dance Academy COVID-19 Safety Plan Protocols will be posted on the Mi-Cher Dance Academy website and at the studio entrance and will be communicated to staff and students verbally and in writing (by email and social media channels).
3) All students, staff and administrators are required to undergo COVID-19 self-screening daily and prior to entry on to the premises.
a) Self-screening is to be done using the BC COVID-19 Self- Assessment Tool (available on the BCCDC website or the BC Government COVD-19 app) and will also be posted at the entrance of the studio.
4) Any student, staff or administrator exhibiting any COVID-19 signs or symptoms will not attend class.
a) Teacher illness: a substitute teacher will be provided or class will be postponed or rescheduled.
b) Student illness: students may not attend classes, a credit will be posted to their account for classes missed.
5) Should a student or staff member become ill while on the premises, he/she will maintain physical distance, keep their face-covering on, leave the premises and contact 8-1-1 or their primary care provider for further guidance. The studio will then be disinfected; ensuring any surfaces contacted by the sick individual are thoroughly cleaned.
6) Students, staff, and administrators who have returned from international travel (or domestic travel where there is an BC Public Health advisory) within the previous 14 days, who have been instructed to self-isolate by Public Health, who have come into contact with a person who is known or suspected to be infected with COVID-19 (during the infectious period), or who is awaiting the result of a COVID-19 test will not be permitted to enter the premises.
7) If a student, staff member or administrator tests positive for COVID-19, he/she will follow the explicit advice of BC Public Health officials, will advise BC Public Health contact tracers of any dates/times he/she attended Mi-Cher Dance Academy during the time periods in question, and will not return to Mi-Cher Dance Academy until he/she is advised by BC Public Health that he/she is no longer infectious and it is safe to do so.
1) There will be no physical contact between students and staff.
2) Alcohol-based hand rub will be available at all studio entrances.
3) There are 2 washrooms (with warm, running water) on the premises that are stocked with single-use paper towels, toilet paper, and hand soap daily.
4) Students and staff are required to notify the on-site administrator before and after using the washroom, to ensure it is disinfected between each use.
5) Hand-washing with alcohol based hand rub will be required upon entry/exit to/from the premises.
6) All staff and administrators are also required to clean their hands between classes, after eating/using the washroom, when returning from a break, or when visibly soiled.
7) All staff and students are required to practice hand hygiene and cough/sneeze etiquette at all times.
8) All staff are advised to remind students about hygiene protocols and will be advised about their responsibility for maintaining the above listed controls, where applicable (for example, disinfecting surfaces, cleaning, etc).
9) All staff will be educated and updated regarding the risk of virus transmission in the studio space so they are able to assist in minimizing its spread through the use of the protocols outlined in this document.
1) All unnecessary equipment and supplies has been cleared from the studio spaces, entrances, and hallways to maximize floor space.
2) Only one group of students is allowed into each studio space at a time (maximum of 12 students and 1 instructor in the studio.
3) There will be a minimum of 5 minutes scheduled between classes to allow students to safely exit the premises and for disinfecting protocols.
4) Students are to remain in their cars or off the premises until 5 minutes before the class start time, at which time they can line up on the side- walk outside the studio on the marked lines (1 student per line, lines are spaced a minimum of 2 metres apart).
5) Students may enter the studio premises when instructed to do so by a staff member or the sign board outside the front door (this is only after the previous class has left the building and the studio space has been disinfected).
6) Due to the small entry alcove and narrow stairwell, only one student is permitted in the alcove and stairwell area at a time. The next student may go up the stairwell only when this area has been vacated.
7) Upon arrival at the top of the stairs the student must place his/her personal belongings on the numbered hook and proceed with his/her ballet shoes and a small bag of personal belongings if necessary (valuables/water bottle).
a) Only one student is permitted in the upstairs hallway at a time, due to space limitations.
b) Students have been advised to bring as little as possible with them into the studio.
8) Students are then required to enter the studio and proceed to the corresponding numbered floor space, either in the centre or at the barre.
a) Each individual square is 6ft.X6ft. and is a minimum of 6ft away from any other student or the instructor.
b) Students are to remain at their space at the barre or in their individual square for the duration of the class.
c) Students are to advise the teacher when they need to leave the room to use the washroom or access their belongings, in order to ensure that they are able to exit the room while maintaining physical distancing.
9) The teacher will remain 6ft away from any student at all times.
10) Students will remain facing forward as much as possible, in order to minimize any face-to-face contact with other students.
11) Students have been asked to refrain from socializing in the studio premises before and after class, except while in their individual dance spaces. If students wish to talk to each other before or after class they are required to do so outside and while maintaining adequate physical distancing and mask wearing, in compliance with BC Public Health Guidelines.
12) Parents and family members are not permitted into the studio at this time. Parents of children and teenagers must pick up their child outside the studio and will be supervised by the teacher until picked up.
Personal Protective Equipment
1) Non-medical face masks that are compliant with the most current BC Public Health recommendations are required to be worn upon entry and exit from Mi-Cher Dance Academy premises.
2) All staff, teachers, and students have been asked to keep their mask on for the duration of the class. This recommendation will be elevated to “must/mandatory” on the advice of BC Public Health officials.
3) All staff, teachers, and students have been advised that wearing a face mask does not replace the physical distancing requirements and that all physical distancing must be maintained at all times.
4) Students who are unable to wear a face mask should consider with- drawing from classes at this time.
5) It is expected that there will be no instruction or choreography that is strenuous enough to impede one’s breathing while wearing a face mask (see preamble).
6) All staff, students, and teachers should review proper use of face masks/hand hygiene.
a) Avoid touching or adjusting masks.
b) Masks that become wet, soiled, or damaged may become ineffective and must be replaced immediately.
c) Masks must be put on and taken off correctly, avoiding touching the front/inside of the mask and washing hands before and after.
d) Cloth masks must be washed daily and stored properly.
Modify the Environment
1) All windows and doors will be kept open at all times, regardless of the outside temperature.
2) All communal storage areas have been removed. Students will have individual, labelled storage areas.
1) All students are pre-registered in classes Mi-Cher Dance Academy.
a) We do not have drop-in classes.
2) All registration, forms, and payments are done electronically through the online portal.
3) There will be no physical contact between the teacher and students or students with each other at any time, in any class at Mi-Cher Dance Academy.
4) Students are to bring only their ballet shoes, a small bag for valuables, and a water bottle with them into the studio. Large bags should be avoided (and placed on hooks outside the studio if absolutely required).
1) Single-use paper towels and disinfectant will be available throughout the premises (in the studio, at the front entrance, and in each bathroom).
1) A list of high-touch surfaces requiring regular disinfecting include: all door handles, light switches, handrails, barres, stereo system, heat control panel, hooks, and live stream equipment (computer, camera, etc).
2) This list and a cleaning schedule will be provided to the teacher or staff member responsible for disinfecting the listed surfaces.
3) Time has been scheduled between each class to allow for adequate disinfection.
4) All disinfectants used are recommended by Health Canada and BCCDC and will be used in accordance with the instructions provided, including the required wet contact time.
5) The studio floor will be cleaned daily.
1) Signage will be placed at the studio entrance advising anyone not to enter the premises if they are feeling ill or experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19.
2) Occupancy limits will be posted and strictly enforced (as outlined above).
3) Posters reminding users of good hand hygiene will be placed in both bathrooms.
1) Records of all students and staff who were on the premises at any given time will be kept at the studio.
2) All health and safety information will be continually revised and updated in accordance with BC Public Health recommendations and communicated verbally, in class, and in writing on the studio website, through email and various social media channels.
3) Mi-Cher Dance Academy is always open to receiving feedback on all health and safety policies and procedures and students and staff should direct any questions or concerns to the studio owner. This can be done anonymously through email, if required.
1) The use of any shared equipment will be minimized.
2) There will be no sharing of props between the students.
1) Online classes are only an option when in studio classes are mandated to close.
2) Group classes are scheduled with a minimum of 5 minutes between classes to eliminate interaction between incoming and outgoing students and to allow for adequate time for disinfection between classes.
3) Teachers are scheduled to teach all of their classes on the same day.
4) All classes are a consistent group of students and the same teacher (students register for the year and remain with the same group throughout).
1) There are no break rooms available for use by staff or students.
2) Any staff meetings will be done virtually.
1) Mi-Cher Dance Academy is currently operating out of 1 facility at 214-15272 Croydon Dr, Surrey, BC.